Navigating Data Privacy/Security in Today’s Legal Landscape
Date: Nov 9, 2023 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Member Price: $152
Non-Member Price: $190
- Rebecca L. Rakoski, Esq.
- XPAN Law Partners LLP, Marlton
- Christopher A. Ouellette, Esq.
- Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC, Philadelphia
In today's dynamic and technology-driven legal landscape, data privacy has become a critical concern impacting individuals, businesses, and law firms. As the volume of data generated and exchanged continues to rise, privacy laws are constantly evolving to keep pace with the digital revolution. Now, more than ever, it is imperative for lawyers from all practice areas to stay well-informed and equipped to handle the complexities of privacy regulations.
Join us for a comprehensive exploration of privacy law, its implications for law firms and clients, risk management strategies, and the impact of international privacy regulations. Through practical examples, engaging case studies, and expert-led discussions, you will enhance your comprehension of data governance, risk management, and the latest developments in international privacy regulations.
Register now to acquire the knowledge and strategies you need to safeguard your clients' data and mitigate legal risks in today's digital age.
- 4:00 - Welcome and Introductions
- 4:05 - Data Privacy and Its Global Impact: How International Privacy Laws Affect Your Clients
- Delve into the world of international privacy regulations, including the omnipresent GDPR and its extraterritorial reach.
- Explore the challenges posed by these regulations, their intersection with US laws, and understand the implications for both domestic lawyers and their clients.
- Examine the European Commission's adequacy decision for the EU-US Data Privacy Framework and what it means for US organizations.
- Evaluate the legal implications of cross-border data transfers.
- 5:05 - Federal and State Privacy Laws: Understanding the Implications for Your Clients and Their Operations
- Obtain a comprehensive overview of existing and proposed federal privacy laws, understanding their significance for your practice in today's landscape.
- Gain insights on the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), and key differences between privacy laws in Colorado, California, and Connecticut.
- Scrutinize the distinction between harms-based and rights-based legislation and discover how it influences your advice to clients.
- 5:40 - Break
5:50 - Data Privacy Compliance, Governance and Risk Management in a Shifting Landscape
- Determine how businesses' data collection practices impact your clients and how you can effectively advise them on the laws triggered by data collection.
- Understand how privacy and security intersect for your clients.
- Identify best practices for mitigating privacy-related risks and explore how data mapping and categorization can ensure compliance.
- Discover practical approaches to implement privacy by design and security by design principles.
- Know how to advise clients on the implications of collecting and handling data subject to privacy laws across multiple jurisdictions.
- 6:20 - Data Privacy Compliance for Law Firms
- Boost your understanding of how privacy and security affect the legal community.
- Discuss the implications of privacy and security intersecting, particularly for law firms.
- Examine the unique implications of privacy and security for law firms, particularly in light of the data collected and stored on law firm websites, including client data.
- Identify what data is subject to privacy laws and the dos and don'ts of handling collected data.
- Pinpoint potential risks of non-compliance and discover practical measures to safeguard data and comply with privacy laws.
- 6:50 - Q&A and Review of Key Takeaways
- Engage in an interactive Q&A session, clarifying any doubts and reinforcing the key takeaways from the program.
- 7:00 - Adjourn