Financial Aspects of a Divorce: An Essential Guide
Category: On Demand
Member Price: $192
Non-Member Price: $240
Areas of Law: Family
|NJ CLE:||NJ CLE information: This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 4 hours of total CLE credit (Full Credits Available: NJ General: 4.0, NY Professional Practice Transitional: 4.0).|
|NY CLE (t&nt):||PA Substantive Credit: 3.0|
- Ash Ahluwalia
- One Team Financial, Cranford
- Greg Dillon
- One Team Financial, Cranford
- Sandra C. Fava, Esq.
- Fox Rothschild LLP, Morristownis a Partner in the Family Law Practice in the Morristown, New Jersey, office of Fox Rothschild LLP. A certified mediator, she often represents high-net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, corporate executives, professionals and business owners or their spouses in a variety of family law matters, from the negotiation of prenuptial agreements to separation and divorce proceedings, mediations and arbitrations, trials and post-judgment matters and appeals. She also represents clients in a full array of post-judgment matters, including property or marital settlement agreement enforcement, college contribution disputes, modifications of alimony or child support, and appeals from unfavorable judgments; and represents same-sex couples in complex and rapidly evolving areas of family law that include custody disputes between biological and non-biological parents and same-sex alimony, child support and asset distribution.
nAdmitted to practice in New Jersey, Ms. Fava is Past Chair of the Essex County Bar Association’s Family Law Committee, a Trustee of the Association, and a member of the New Jersey Association for Justice’s Family Law Section Committee and the Family Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association. She is also a member of the National Association of Professional Women and the CASA Board of Trustees, an Early Settlement Panelist for Essex and Morris Counties, and was appointed to the District XB Ethics Committee. She has lectured at continuing legal education seminars and is the recipient of several honors.
nMs. Fava received her B.A. from Rutgers University and her J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law. She was a law clerk to the Honorable Stephan B. Hansbury, Superior Court of New Jersey, Family Part, Morris County.
This program will cover the basic rules of Social Security planning, as well as discuss the myriad of changes impacting those in retirement. The panelists will discuss specific filing strategies available to maximize eligible benefits. Social Security benefits that will be discussed include spousal, survivor, child, divorce, strategies unique to business owners, strategies for high-net-worth individuals and how to find your “Social Security Sweet Spot” (your optimal filing strategy). Many case examples will be used as a format to detail how to maximize eligible Social Security benefits so that filers do not leave any money on the table!
This multi-faceted and informative program will also address why taxes are different in the working years versus retirement years and cover topics such as RMDs (required minimum distributions), Social Security and Medicare premiums, as well as the common pitfalls and biggest mistakes retirees make in retirement.
- An understanding of the basic rules governing Social Security
- A review of the spousal, survivor, child, divorce, and other important rules
- Specific strategies available to maximize eligible Social Security benefits
- Strategies to minimize the taxation of Social Security benefits
- An understanding of the basic structure of income taxation in retirement
- A review of changes sparked by recent tax law changes: Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Secure Act
- Specific strategies available to diversify taxable income sources
- Avoiding the major pitfalls that retirees face regarding their taxes