New Attorney Day – Civil Trial Practice
Category: On Demand
Member Price: $149
Non-Member Price: $149
Areas of Law: Civil, Young Lawyers Division
|NJ CLE:||NJ CLE information: This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 3.3 hours of total CLE credit (Full Credits Available: NJ General: 3.3, NJ New Admit Civil or Criminal: 3.3).|
|NY CLE (t&nt):||NY Professional Practice Transitional: 3.0|
|PA CLE:||PA Substantive Credit: 2.5
$12.00 fee – separate check payable to NJICLE must be submitted at the end of the program
Shawn is a highly respected civil trial practitioner and is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney. In three quick hours, he will share practical insights and tips to properly prepare your case for trial. You’ll gain an understanding of the procedures, techniques, and strategies you need to know if you plan to handle a civil case in New Jersey.
Gain the foundation to successfully handle basic civil litigation cases in New Jersey, including presentation on:
• Taking the case: Client interviews; Evaluating the case; Retainer agreements and budgets; Client communications; and managing client expectations.
• Pre-Suit activities: Litigation due diligence; Investigations; Evidence Preservation Witness interviews; Spoliation; Formal pre-suit discovery.
• Case planning: Litigation strategies; Forum selection - Federal or State court?
• Pleadings: Pleading standards and requirements; Venue selection; Complaints and Answers; Fictitious party practice; Removal; Crossclaims, Counterclaims and Third-party pleadings.
• Pre-Trial Discovery and Case management.
• Expert Witnesses: The role of expert witnesses; Expert qualifications; Finding and vetting experts; Working with experts; Report preparation; Expert discovery; Challenging admissibility of expert testimony.
• Motion practice and procedure: Dispositive motions; Dismissal and Summary judgment; Timing and special requirements; Motions in limine; Oral argument; Forms of orders; Consent orders.
• Alternate Dispute Resolution
• Settlement conferences: Settlement negotiation strategies.
• Final pre-trial preparation: Pre-trial conferences/orders; witness preparation; pre-trial submissions; Evidence presentation.