- To serve, protect, foster and promote the personal and professional interests of its members.
- To serve as the voice of New Jersey attorneys to other organizations, governmental entities and the public with regard to the law, legal profession and legal system.
- To promote access to the justice system, fairness in its administration, and the independence and integrity of the judicial branch.
- To encourage participation in voluntary pro bono activities.
- To foster professionalism and pride in the profession and the NJSBA.
- To provide educational opportunities to New Jersey attorneys to enhance the quality of legal services and the practice of law.
- To provide education to the New Jersey public to enhance awareness of the legal profession and legal system.
December 11, 1992 – REVISED December 2007 – REVISED May 2014
Our Commitment to Diversity
New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA) Statement of Diversity and Inclusion
- The New Jersey State Bar Association (“NJSBA”) is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse and inclusive bar association.
- The Association recognizes that the broad concept of diversity includes race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age and disability.
- The NJSBA fosters and promotes an inclusive environment that gives value to the unique contributions of diverse individuals and organizations in all aspects of the Association.
The NJSBA further recognizes that:
- Increased diversity and inclusion efforts benefit not only the NJSBA, but also the entire legal profession and the greater community that we are all a part of.
- Bringing diverse individuals and viewpoints together creates opportunities for all.
- In order for the NJSBA to become truly diverse, such inclusive efforts must be supported by all Sections/Divisions/Committees of the NJSBA through continuous and heartfelt actions.
- Diversity and inclusion requires ongoing training and education of the entire profession, in order to enable its members to break down barriers that have previously prevented progress.
- Creating a diverse and inclusive environment requires a commitment and consistent momentum towards the future of the profession, and achieving diversity and inclusion requires unwavering commitment by the NJSBA and the entire profession.
For these aforementioned reasons, the New Jersey State Bar Association reaffirms its commitment to diversity and inclusion and agrees to:
- Support the diversity and inclusion goals adopted by the American Bar Association and other bar associations throughout the nation as follows: Goal III, “Eliminate Bias and Enhance Diversity.
- Promote full and equal participation in the association, our profession, and the justice system by all persons.
- Eliminate bias in the legal profession and the justice system.”; and
- Support and maintain a Leadership Academy for all individuals, particularly attorneys newer to the profession, attorneys of color and other diverse attorneys that would benefit from intense yearlong training by legal scholars to help these individuals prepare for growth and leadership roles;
- Increase access and representation of all minorities and diverse individuals in law firms, legal departments, bar associations, law schools and other organizations;
- Measure and encourage hiring, recruitment and retention of diverse attorneys in the legal profession.