Avoiding Legal Malpractice
Category: On Demand
Member Price: $200
Non-Member Price: $250
Areas of Law: Ethics
|NJ CLE:||NJ CLE information: This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 4 hours of total CLE credit, including 4.0 in Ethics (Full Credits Available: NJ Ethics: 4.0).|
|NY CLE (t&nt):||NY Ethics Non-Transitional: 4.0|
|PA CLE:||PA Ethics Credit: 3.0
$12.00 fee – separate check payable to NJICLE must be submitted at the end of the program
- Jenifer G. Fowler, Esq.
- Eisner & Fowler, Haddonfieldis a Partner in Eisner & Fowler in Haddonfield, New Jersey, where she concentrates her practice in estate planning, estate administration, elder law, real estate, foreclosures and collection work. She is often appointed by the court to act as counsel to alleged incapacitated persons, as guardian of person and property of incapacitated persons, and as administrator of estates.
nAdmitted to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, Ms. Fowler is Past President of the Camden County Bar Association and Foundation. She is Co-Chair of the CCBA Women in the Profession Committee and has been Co-Chair of a number of other Committees, including the Tax, Membership and Public Benefits Committees. She has lectured for ICLE, the Camden County Bar Association and other organizations.
nMs. Fowler received her B.A. from Rutgers College, her J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law and her Estate Planning Certificate from Temple University School of Law.
- Patrick B. Minter, Esq.
- Donnelly Minter & Kelly LLC, Morristownis a founding Member of Donnelly, Minter & Kelly, LLC in Morristown, New Jersey, where he concentrates his practice in civil litigation with an emphasis on commercial litigation, professional liability defense, and chancery and probate litigation. He has represented clients in several cases which have resulted in published opinions, including Vastano v. Algeier, 178 N.J. 230 (2003), Hernandez v. Baugh, 401 N.J. Super. 539 (App. Div. 2008) and Marrero v. Feintuch, 418 N.J. Super. 48 (App. Div. 2011).
nAdmitted to practice in New Jersey and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, Mr. Minter is a member of the American, New Jersey State and Morris County Bar Associations. He has been Chair of the Morris County Chancery Practice Committee and Co-Chair of the Morris County General Equity Mediation Committee, and is Past Chair of the District X Fee Arbitration Committee. He has served as Chair of the Morris Township Recreation Advisory Committee and on the Morris Township Ethics Board, and lectures for ICLE annually on avoiding legal malpractice and other topics.
nMr. Minter received his B.A., cum laude, from Providence College and his J.D., cum laude, from Widener University School of Law. He is also a graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Intensive Trial Advocacy Program and was Law Clerk to the Honorable Rocco L. D’Ambrosio, J.S.C.
- David L. Wikstrom, Esq.
- Javerbaum Wurgaft Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins, SpringfieldCertified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, is a Partner in Javerbaum Wurgaft Hicks Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins, P.C. in Springfield, New Jersey. He concentrates his practice primarily in the representation of clients in legal malpractice, product liability, dramshop, employment discrimination and personal injury litigation.
nAdmitted to practice in New Jersey and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the United States Supreme Court, Mr. Wikstrom is Past President of the Union County Bar Association, Past Chair of the Essex County Bar Association’s Product Liability Section and has been a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s and the ABA’s Standing Committee on Legal Malpractice Litigation and Insurance. He is a former Trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association, Past Chair of the Union County Bar Association’s Civil Practice Committee and has served on the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Civil Trial Certification. He has also been a member of the American Board of Trial Advocacy (ABOTA), the American Bar Association, the American and New Jersey Associations for Justice, and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
nA Master of the Richard J. Hughes American Inns of Court, Mr. Wikstrom regularly lectures on legal ethics and legal malpractice for ICLE, NJAJ and other organizations. He has been an adjunct professor at Union County College, where he has taught business law.
nMr. Wikstrom received his B.A., with honors, from William Paterson University and his J.D., cum laude, from Quinnipiac School of Law, where he was Symposium Editor of the Quinnipiac Law School Law Review and the recipient of several additional honors. He interned for the Honorable Alan H. Nevas, United States District Court, District of Connecticut.
Do you know how to avoid the sticky spots when practicing law?
Do you know how to avoid placing yourself in a bad situation?
And if malpractice has been committed-- What do you do? Who do you contact?
What are the ramifications of a malpractice claim on your practice?
Gain insight from three of New Jersey’s leading attorneys on the cases and situations that likely lead to infractions. Learn how to avoid legal malpractice claims. Understand the situations where lawyers most commonly get into trouble when handling cases so that you can recognize the possibility of a bad situation BEFORE you jeopardize your career.
Jenifer Fowler, Esq., Patrick B. Minter, Esq., and David L. Wikstrom, Esq. have compiled a list of infractions and law pertaining to legal malpractice claims. The list includes both litigation and transactional situations. They also have some advice for those that may be involved in legal malpractice litigation. Learn from the experts and take home a seminar handbook that will serve as a guide to avoiding legal malpractice in the years to come.
Learn everything you need to know to avoid costly malpractice issues, including:
- Common and easily avoided situations many attorneys inadvertently face
- What you should immediately do if an infraction has been committed
- A list of the top infractions, and laws pertaining to those claims
- Advice for attorneys dealing with current issues
- ... and more!