Emerging Issues in Consumer Protection Law
Category: On Demand
Member Price: $154
Non-Member Price: $193
Areas of Law: Civil Trial Bar
|NJ CLE:||NJ CLE information: This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 3 hours of total CLE credit (Full Credits Available: NJ Civil Trial Attorney Credit: 3.0, NJ General: 3.0).|
|NY CLE (t&nt):||NY Professional Practice Non-Transitional: 3.0|
- Shane T. Prince, Esq.
- Denittis Osefchen and Prince PC, Marltonis a Shareholder in DeNittis Osefchen Prince, P.C. with offices in Marlton, New Jersey; New York City; and Philadelphia, PA. He has more than 20 years of experience representing and advising both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of complex civil litigation matters in both federal and state courts, including consumer fraud and medical monitoring class actions, product liability/mass tort litigations, and individual cases involving personal injury, product liability, and contract disputes. Since Joining the firm he has focused his practice primarily on representing consumers in class action litigations; he has successfully participated in more than 75 certified class actions, comprised of millions of consumers, and has recovered tens of millions of dollars for victims of corporate fraud.
nMr. Prince is admitted to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a member of the New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ) and has lectured for Rutgers Law School and the NJAJ. Prior to joining the firm he spent 11 years as a litigation attorney at a global law firm in Philadelphia.
nMr. Prince received his B.A., summa cum laude, from Pensacola Christian College and his J.D. , with high honors, from Rutgers School of Law-Camden, where he was an Articles Editor for the Rutgers Law Journal, a Dean’s Merit Scholar and a Teaching Assistant for Legal Research and Writing/Moot Court.
- Yongmoon Kim, Esq.
- Kim Law Firm LLC, Hackensackis a consumer advocate and attorney with the Kim Law Firm LLC in Hackensack, New Jersey, where he concentrates his practice in consumer protection, class actions and occasionally personal injury cases.
nMr. Kim has been a pro bono attorney with Northeast New Jersey Legal Services, Chair of the Bergen County Bar Association Consumer Law Committee and a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association Consumer Protection Law and Class Actions Committees. He has also been a member of the Board of Directors of the Consumers League of New Jersey (CLNJ), a nonprofit organization which advocates on behalf of consumers, and also represents the CLNJ on the New Jersey Supreme Court Special Civil Part Committee.
nMr. Kim has been recognized for his pro bono contributions and is the recipient of Equal Justice Medals bestowed by Legal Services of New Jersey and the Champions of Justice Award from Northeast New Jersey Legal Services. He has lectured for ICLE and the New Jersey Association for Justice.
nMr. Kim received his B.A. from the State University of New York at Binghamton and his J.D. from Florida Coastal School of Law.
- Caroline E. Oks, Esq.
- Gibbons PC, Newarkis Director of Business and Commercial Litigation for Gibbons P.C. in the firm’s Newark, New Jersey, and Washington, D.C., offices. She handles a wide range of complex business and commercial litigation matters in both state and federal courts throughout New Jersey and New York. Her practice focuses primarily on aspects of general and complex commercial litigation, including factual investigation, discovery and strategy, briefing and motions practice, and appellate filings in connection with class action defense, common law fraud, breach of contract, business torts and multi-party construction disputes.
nMs. Oks is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and the District of Columbia; and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of Columbia; and the United States Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Third and District of Columbia Circuits. A Trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association Women in the Profession Section, she is a member of the American Bar Association’s Class Action and Derivative Suits Committee and Co-Chair of its Young Lawyers Subcommittee. She is also a member of the New York State and Essex County Bar Associations, the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association and the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey.
nAn editor of the Gibbons Law Alert blog, Ms. Oks is a Barrister of the John C. Lifland American Inn of Court. She has lectured for the New Jersey State Bar Association and Lorman Education Services, and is the author of “Third Circuit to Revisit Administrative Feasibility Prong of Heightened Ascertainability Requirement,” (New Jersey Law Journal) and other articles.
nMs. Oks received her B.A. from the University of Connecticut, where she was a New England Scholar, and her J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law, where she was Senior Notes Editor of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal and Vice President of the Student Bar Association. She was a judicial intern to the Honorable John C. Kennedy, J.S.C., Civil Division, and was a law clerk to the Honorable John C. Kennedy, J.A.D., Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division.
- Robert M. Silverman, Esq.
- Kimmel & Silverman, P.C., Ambleris a founding Partner of Kimmel & Silverman, P.C. in Ambler, Pennsylvania, where he focuses his practice in Lemon Law and breach of warranty claims. He has tried cases in the federal and state courts, and has also successfully briefed and argued cases before the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
nMr. Silverman is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association and the American, New Jersey State, Pennsylvania and New York State Bar Associations. Mr. Silverman has been featured in numerous national and local media as an expert in warranty litigation. His efforts have been honored by the American Bar Association and he was named a Leader in Litigation by the New Jersey Law Journal.
nMr. Silverman received his B.A. from Pennsylvania State University and his J.D. from Temple University School of Law.
- Andrew R. Wolf, Esq.
- Dannlaw, North Brunswickis a member of the Wolf Law Firm LLC with offices in North Brunswick and Princeton, New Jersey, where he devotes his practice to protecting the rights of people who have been the victims of consumer fraud or other unlawful practices, with an emphasis on class action cases. In addition to resolving more than a thousand individual cases, he has been certified as Class Counsel in more than one 125 cases involving New Jersey and federal consumer protection laws, including the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, the Truth-in-Consumer Contract Warranty and Notice Act and the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
nAdmitted to practice in New Jersey and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court, Mr. Wolf has been a member of the National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA) and a Board Member of the Consumers League of New Jersey. He is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association, where he serves on the Committee on Consumer Protection Law and the Class Action Committee, and has been a member of the Middlesex County Bar Association. He was also appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court to serve on the Special Civil Part Practice Committee for five terms from the 2006-2008 term through the 2014-2016 term. A mediator and arbitrator, Mr. Wolf is certified as a Mediator by the State of New Jersey’s Department of Law and Public Safety (1995), the State of New Jersey Judiciary (1995) and is certified as a Trainer in Mediation and Conciliation Skills for the State of New Jersey, Administrative Office of the Courts (1997). Since 2001, he has mediated Chancery Division cases in both the Probate Part and General Equity Part in Middlesex County via both the New Jersey Judiciary’s CDR program and as a volunteer for the Middlesex County Bar Association. Mr. Wolf has also mediated cases as a volunteer and a team leader in the Middlesex County Municipal Mediation Program, and in 2000 was appointed as a Contract Arbitrator in Middlesex County.
nMr. Wolf has taught at numerous continuing legal education programs for ICLE and other organizations, and is an adjunct professor at Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, where he teaches a course on consumer protection litigation. He is the recipient of several honors, including the 2018 Robert F. Cirafesi Chancery Practice Award bestowed by the Middlesex County Bar Association and the Debevoise-Eakeley Award from Legal Services of New Jersey.
nMr. Wolf received his undergraduate degree from Queen’s College (CUNY) and his M.B.A. in Finance from St. John’s University, where he was elected to Beta Gamma Sigma. He received his J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, where he was a member of the Order of the Barristers and the recipient of several other honors.
- Is marking up retail prices before applying discounts a violation of the Consumer Fraud Act?
- Is pricing an essential part of a product?
- What’s new in auto fraud, breach of warranty and lemon law?
- What are the top issues in consumer fraud in 2023?
- Can you litigate federal statutes in state court?
Join us for a collegiate discussion of these ‘hot” topics in consumer protection law.
- 9:00 - Welcome - Shane T. Prince, Esq.
- 9:05 - Developments in consumer fraud - Caroline E. Oks, Esq.
- 9:30 - Robey v. SPARC Group- A Case Study on Legal Issues Involving Retail Pricing - Shane T. Prince, Esq.
- 9:55 - Litigating federal statutes and causes of action in state court after Ramirez v. TransUnion - Yongmoon “Elijah” Kim, Esq.
- 10:20 - Break
- 10:30 - Auto 2023 – lemon law for new cars and emerging trends in settlement - Robert M. Silverman, Esq.
- 11:00 - Auto 2023- Used car lemon law cases- Andrew R. Wolf, Esq.
- 11:25 - Final comments/wrap up
- 11:35 - Adjourn