How to Help Your Clients Avoid or Deal with Disasters
Date: Feb 7, 2024 11:00 a.m. – 12:40 p.m.
Member Price: $99
Non-Member Price: $125
- Soo H. Woo, Esq.
- Assistant Managing Attorney, Housing Unit
Northeast New Jersey Legal Services
- Maryann Flanigan Sutherland, Esq.
- Supervising Attorney, Foreclosure Defense Project, Legal Services of New Jersey, Edison
- Josh Gaul, Esq.
- Managing Attorney
Iowa Legal Aid
In the wake of natural disasters, individuals and communities often face complex legal challenges that can be overwhelming to handle on their own. Gain exposure to the legal issues that arise in disaster relief scenarios and the available resources to support affected individuals. Our expert panel of speakers will shed light on both short-term and long-term legal challenges, provide insights into FEMA applications and appeals, and share their experiences in handling disaster-related cases.
Join us for to bolster your ability to:
- Understand the legal issues that arise in the aftermath of natural disasters, including landlord-tenant disputes, flood-related implications on leases, FEMA applications, and the federal declaration process.
- Identify medium and long-term legal challenges, such as housing continuity, contractor fraud, document replacement, family issues, and insurance matters.
- Gain insights into available resources, support networks, and organizations specializing in disaster relief.
- Learn from real-life experiences of legal experts who have handled disaster-related cases in the past.
- 11 |Welcome and Introduction
- 11:05 | Short-Term Legal Issues in Disaster Relief
- Identify the immediate legal challenges faced by individuals and communities in the aftermath of a disaster.
- Boost your understanding of the implications of natural disasters on landlord-tenant relationships and leases.
- Gain insights into the FEMA application process, including key deadlines and the craft of a successful application.
- Comprehend the federal declaration process and its implications on FEMA assistance, including timelines and procedures.
- 11:25 | Medium and Long-Term Legal Challenges arising from Disasters - Soo H. Woo, Esq.
- Explore the legal concerns that persist in the medium and long term after a disaster, including housing continuity and property damage for homeowners.
- Navigate the processes for how victims can access benefits through FEMA and victim assistance programs.
- Recognize the common issues related to contractor fraud and fraudulent cases, as well as the civil claims process.
- Discover strategies for document replacement, addressing family issues, and handling insurance claims specific to disaster scenarios.
- 11:50 | Panel Discussion: Expert Guidance on Legal Matters in Disaster Relief
- Speakers: Josh Gaul, Esq.; Maryann Flanigan; Soo H. Woo, Esq.
- Gain insights into real-world experiences of organizations specializing in disaster relief and understand how they have handled cases in the past.
- Learn about mentorship programs and their role in supporting new organizations dealing with natural disasters.
- Survey the opportunities available through federal grants and the Legal Services Corporation for disaster relief work.
- Understand the role of established organizations like Iowa Legal Aid and Legal Services New Jersey in providing assistance and guidance to legal professionals in disaster-affected areas.
- 12:20 | Q&A Session
- 12:30 | Closing Remarks
- 12:40 | Adjourn
Important Information About Our Events, Meetings, and More:
To secure your spot and receive important updates about our events, meetings, and other gatherings, such as schedule changes, remember to register in advance.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration and are not transferring to another program or date, please submit a written request to us at least three business days before the event, meeting, or gathering. You will receive a refund minus a $20.00 cancellation fee. No refunds or registration changes will be issued within three business days of the event, meeting, or gathering.
Registered participants will be notified of any schedule changes. For updates regarding inclement weather, please check your email or visit NJSBA.com.
By participating in our events, meetings, or other gatherings, you agree to be photographed and/or recorded. Additionally, all media content captured during these gatherings will become the property of NJSBA. This content, including your image and name, may be used in our future promotional materials without additional consent or compensation.
Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy:
Read our Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy and submit an Application here: https://njsba.com/njicle/cle-programs/scholarship/