Class Action Playbook
Category: On Demand
Member Price: $192
Non-Member Price: $240
Areas of Law: Civil
|NJ CLE:||NJ CLE information: This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 3.3 hours of total CLE credit (Full Credits Available: NJ Civil Trial Attorney Credit: 3.3, NJ General: 3.3).|
|NY CLE (t&nt):||NY Professional Practice Transitional: 3.0|
|PA CLE:||PA Substantive Credit: 2.5
$12.00 fee – separate check payable to NJICLE must be submitted at the end of the program
- Lisa R. Considine, Esq.
- Disabato & Considine LLC, Rutherford
- Hon. Joel Schneider (Ret.)
- David J. DiSabato, Esq.
- DiSabato & Considine LLC, Rutherford
- Kelly M. Purcaro, Esq.
- Greenspoon Marder, LLP, Newark
- Ross H. Schmierer, Esq.
- Schmierer Law Group, Mount Laurel
- David E. Sellinger, Esq.
- Greenberg Traurig LLP, Florham Park
Class actions are complex law suits that require specialized knowledge of the law and filing procedures. At this brand-new seminar, a former federal court judge and a panel of class action lawyers will walk you through the basic concerns you need to know to handle this type of case. Join us for an extremely informative discussion!
- Initial Concerns
- Why to proceed as a class action
- Class member rights
- Class certification requirements
- Benefits and pitfalls of certification
- Case Selections
- Identifying a Potential Class Action Lawsuit (Products; consumer fraud/misrepresentation; civil rights)
- Strengths and Weaknesses to look for in evaluating potential claim
- Consideration of using co-counsel on strong case
- Filing your complaint
- Choice of Forum: Federal vs State Court
- Prerequisites to filing; form of state and federal class action complaints/ summonses
- Notice to Class Requirements
- Damages vs Injunctive/equitable relief
- The motion to dismiss
- Typical class action motions by plaintiffs and defendants
- Case management and Discovery issues
- When and how to handle settlement discussions
- Dealing with Prior and Subsequent filings by other class members
- Settlement proceedings
- Handling opt-out issues
- Procedures for paying class members
- Case Law Update and Practical Issues
- Legal Fee applications and issues
- Key Cases to Know