Hot Topics in Local Government Law
Category: On Demand
Member Price: $200
Non-Member Price: $250
Areas of Law: Ethics, Government, Public Sector & Public Interest
|NJ CLE:||NJ CLE information: This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 4.5 hours of total CLE credit, including 1.2 in Ethics (Full Credits Available: NJ Ethics: 1.2, NJ General: 3.3).|
|NY CLE (t&nt):||NY Ethics Non-Transitional: 1.0, NY Professional Practice Transitional: 3.0|
|PA CLE:||PA Ethics Credit: 1.0, PA Substantive Credit: 2.5
$16.00 fee – separate check payable to NJICLE must be submitted at the end of the program
- F. Clifford Gibbons, Esq.
- Dolan & Dolan, PA, Princetonis the owner and Managing Member of F. Clifford Gibbons, Attorney at Law, LLC in Princeton, New Jersey, and is Of Counsel to Dolan and Dolan, P.A. in Newton and Blairstown, New Jersey. He concentrates his practice in land use matters on behalf of municipal planning/zoning boards, developers, property owners and citizen organizations throughout New Jersey, and has been involved in several reported cases. He has been appointed by the New Jersey Superior Court as a Hearing Officer in affordable housing litigation.
nAdmitted to practice in New Jersey and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court, Mr. Gibbons is Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Local Government Law Section, a Trustee of the New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys and a member of the Mercer County, Sussex County and Princeton Bar Associations (and an Trustee emeritus of the latter) and the New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys. He is Assistant Counsel to the New Jersey Planning Officials and Associate Counsel to the New Jersey League of Municipalities, for which he chairs the League’s Municipal Land Use Law Technical Review Committee. He is also General Counsel to the New Jersey Association of Planning and Zoning Administrators.
nAn adjunct instructor for Rutgers University, Mr. Gibbons is co-author of the New Jersey Casebook on Zoning, Planning and Land Use Law and was for many years co-author, with William M. Cox, of New Jersey Zoning and Land Use Administration (Gann Law Books). He has authored numerous articles on zoning, planning, legal ethics and other topics which have appeared in the New Jersey Lawyer, New Jersey Planner and the Municipal Law Review. Mr. Gibbons is the recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Banking Law and Regulation and a two-time recipient of the New Jersey Planning Officials’ Achievement in Planning Award. In 2018 he was the recipient of the William M. Cox Award bestowed by the New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys, which recognizes an attorney or judge distinguished in land use law.
nMr. Gibbons received his A.B. from Colgate University and J.D. from Penn State University, Dickinson School of Law.
If you’re a local government attorney, you handle it all – from property taxes to fair housing, from OPRA to employment, from ethics to regulations surrounding marijuana. No matter how long you have been practicing, every year brings new developments that require your attention. 2023 is no different. Join us, as some of the most experienced local government attorneys discuss the latest laws, procedures, and regulations you need to know about.
- 9:00 - Introduction – F. Cliff Gibbons, Esq.
- 9:05 - OPRA/OPMA - Irene Kim Asbury; Michael D. Witt, Esq.
- 9:40 - Recent Developments in Municipal Finance Management - Joseph Monzo
- 10:00 - Employment, including Civil Service - John L. Shahdanian, Esq.
- 10:20 - Affordable Housing – Eric M. Bernstein, Esq.
- 10:40 - Break
- 10:50 - Public Contracting and Bidding - Eric M. Bernstein, Esq.; Dominic P. DiYanni, Esq.
- 11:10 - Redevelopment - Richard D. Trenk, Esq.
- 11:30 - Shared Services - Dominic P. DiYanni, Esq.
- 11:45 - Thumson, Winberry and Kumar – The Counsel Fee Dilemma - Dennis M. Galvin, Esq.
- 12:00 - Ethics – Conflicts of Interest - F. Cliff Gibbons, Esq.
- 1:00 - Adjourn