New Attorney Day – Civil Trial Practice
Date: Sep 17, 2022 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Shawn is a highly respected civil trial practitioner and is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney. In three quick hours, he will share practical insights and tips to properly prepare your case for trial. You’ll gain an understanding of the procedures, techniques, and strategies you need to know if you plan to handle a civil case in New Jersey.
Gain the foundation to successfully handle basic civil litigation cases in New Jersey, including presentation on:
• Taking the case: Client interviews; Evaluating the case; Retainer agreements and budgets; Client communications; and managing client expectations.
• Pre-Suit activities: Litigation due diligence; Investigations; Evidence Preservation Witness interviews; Spoliation; Formal pre-suit discovery.
• Case planning: Litigation strategies; Forum selection - Federal or State court?
• Pleadings: Pleading standards and requirements; Venue selection; Complaints and Answers; Fictitious party practice; Removal; Crossclaims, Counterclaims and Third-party pleadings.
• Pre-Trial Discovery and Case management.
• Expert Witnesses: The role of expert witnesses; Expert qualifications; Finding and vetting experts; Working with experts; Report preparation; Expert discovery; Challenging admissibility of expert testimony.
• Motion practice and procedure: Dispositive motions; Dismissal and Summary judgment; Timing and special requirements; Motions in limine; Oral argument; Forms of orders; Consent orders.
• Alternate Dispute Resolution
• Settlement conferences: Settlement negotiation strategies.
• Final pre-trial preparation: Pre-trial conferences/orders; witness preparation; pre-trial submissions; Evidence presentation.