The New Jersey State Bar Association will host its annual Member Celebration Days from Oct. 2-5 as a tribute to the thousands of members and volunteers who work hard in the profession every day.
The week will feature a series of free programs and events, both virtual and in-person, that demonstrate the value of an NJSBA membership for the state’s largest organization of judges, lawyers and legal professionals. Various in-person and virtual programs are available for NJSBA members to stay up to date on the law, network with colleagues, find leadership opportunities and advocate for the profession.
A job fair held at the New Jersey Law Center in New Brunswick will kick off the celebration on Oct. 2. The fair is open to members and non-members to learn about the law firms, government agencies, businesses and other organizations that are hiring. Employers interested in taking part in the career fair can register here. Earlier in the day, the Association invites members for a shredding event at the Law Center from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., where members can declutter their workspace and ensure the confidentiality of sensitive information by bringing up to five boxes of paper for disposal.
Each day offers events to help NJSBA members prosper and grow in the profession:
Tuesday, Oct. 3
- Learn about ChatGPT is an introductory webinar on what lawyers should know about artificial intelligence and how it can change their practice. ChatGPT, and other emerging AI language models, have the potential to transform legal practice by providing general legal advice, legal research, contract drafting and document review.
- NJSBA members can take a free virtual training on how to use Decisis, a legal research tool powered by LexisNexis that offers a wide range of legal research features. Attorneys can streamline their work accessing a vast collection of cases, statutes, regulations and other legal resources. Learn how to use the new benefit in a training webinar.
Wednesday, Oct. 4
- Join Judge Nelson Johnson (ret.), the award-winning author of the book that inspired the HBO series Boardwalk Empire, for a discussion of his latest book on how attorneys can write and argue better. Style & Persuasion: A Handbook for Lawyers – published by the NJSBA – offers tools for all attorneys to build confidence and transform their writing styles.
- The NJSBA cares about the well-being of our members and their families. That’s why we have recently introduced the Member Assistance Program. NJSBA members now have free, 24/7 access to trained, experienced mental health professionals and resources. As part of the benefit, members have access to up to three free face-to-face counseling sessions, while phone, email and virtual counseling sessions and consultations are unlimited. Learn more about how to make the most of this benefit during an informational session featuring a representative from industry leader Charles Nechtem Associates.
Thursday, Oct. 5
- Experience the NJSBA’s vibrant community firsthand by attending an in-person open house at the New Jersey Law Center. Delve into the value of belonging to one of our 80 sections, committees and divisions. Explore the opportunities that await you in specialized areas of law and network with fellow professionals.
- Legal research training with Decisis returns for an in-person session on the tool powered by LexisNexis.
For more details and to register for the events, visit njsba.com.