ABC’s of DWI: A Practical Guide to DWI in 2024
Date: Jan 23, 2024 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Member Price: $143
Non-Member Price: $179
Section Price: $134
Areas of Law: Municipal Court Practice
Earn up to 2.4 credits! (More Information)
- John Menzel, Esq.
- Law Offices of John Menzel, Asbury Parkis an attorney in private practice in Asbury Park, New Jersey. He has tried thousands of drunk driving cases and argued more than one hundred appeals before the New Jersey Superior Court’s Law and Appellate Divisions and the New Jersey Supreme Court. He was lead attorney in State v. Chun and State v. Foley, the seminal cases on the Alcotest 7110 MK-III-C in New Jersey.
Mr. Menzel is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. He is Past Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Municipal Court Practice Section. A sustaining member and former New Jersey State Delegate for the National College for DUI Defense (NCDD), he is Certified by the NCDD in DUI Defense Law. He is a member of the American Bar Association’s Criminal Practice Division, the Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys of New Jersey and the Monmouth and Ocean County Bar Associations.
Mr. Menzel has been an associate member of the New Jersey Association of Forensic Scientists and an adjunct instructor at Ocean County College. He has held seminars on New Jersey’s drunk driving laws, breath testing instrumentation and trial techniques. Throughout his career Mr. Menzel has received training from the National Association for DUI Defense and has attended training for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing. He was named the 2015 Municipal Court Practitioner of the Year by the New Jersey State Bar Association and was the 2017 recipient of the National College for DUI Defense Mentoring Award.
Mr. Menzel received his B.F.A, summa cum laude, from the New York Institute of Technology and his J.D. from New York Law School.
- Steven W. Hernandez, Esq.
- The Hernandez Law Firm, PC, Toms RiverCertified as a Municipal Court Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, is President of the Hernandez Law Firm, P.C. in Toms River, New Jersey, and concentrates his practice almost exclusively in DWI defense.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the United States Supreme Court, Mr. Hernandez has been a member of the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD) and the American, New Jersey State and Ocean County Bar Associations. He is Past Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Municipal Court Practice Section and has served as Co-Chair of the Municipal Court Practice Section of the Ocean County Bar Association. He is also Certified as a DUI attorney by the National College of DUI Defense.
Mr. Hernandez has lectured for ICLE and other organizations, and is the author of Inside the Minds: Negotiating a Plea Deal in DUI Cases (Aspatore Publishing, 2011) and the New Jersey DWI Book, the Law and Practice (Lawyers & Judges Publishing, 2016), among other publications. He has been qualified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the International Association of Chiefs of Police as a Standardized Field Sobriety Test Instructor. He is also the only attorney in New Jersey to receive a Forensic Sobriety Assessment (FSA) Certificate and is a certified operator of the Alcotest 7110 breath-testing instrument.
Mr. Hernandez received his B.S. from Rutgers Business School and his J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law-Camden. He has received advanced training in drug-related DWI’s, especially those arrests involving a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE), has taken more than 100 hours of forensic chromatography courses and has passed the American Chemical Society Lawyer-Scientist examination.
- Sophia Shalaby, Esq.
- Law Offices of Sophia M. Shalaby, LLC, New BrunswickLaw Offices of Sophia M. Shalaby in New Brunswick, New Jersey, and New York City, is an accomplished and experienced litigator, in civil and criminal courts, in New York, New Jersey and federally. She has extensive experience representing individuals, businesses, insurance companies and governmental bodies. A former prosecutor, she has litigated both sides of civil lawsuits and both sides of criminal cases.
Ms. Shalaby is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. She is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
Ms. Shalaby received her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University, attended St. Thomas University School of Law and received her J.D. from New York Law School.
Presented in cooperation with the NJSBA Municipal Court Practice Section
Learn the ABC's of DWI in the current landscape at this annual program customized to walk you through the chronology and practical issues that arise when you represent a client facing a DWI charge. Do not miss the opportunity to hone your preparation and execution skills when dealing with a DWI case!
Additional speakers to be announced.
Topics to be discussed:
- Understanding the DWI charge;
- Understanding implications for repeat offenders;
- Questions to ask during initial intake;
- Managing client expectations;
- Discovery concerns- field sobriety testing, breath test refusals, Alcotest and more…;
- Motion practice;
- Dealing with your adversary- does it have to be adversarial?;
- Plea bargaining opportunities- determining whether a plea is in your client’s best interest;
- Tips for presenting the case at trial- cross examination techniques and more…; and
- Q and A
Important Information About Our Events, Meetings, and More:
To secure your spot and receive important updates about our events, meetings, and other gatherings, such as schedule changes, remember to register in advance.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration and are not transferring to another program or date, please submit a written request to us at least three business days before the event, meeting, or gathering. You will receive a refund minus a $20.00 cancellation fee. No refunds or registration changes will be issued within three business days of the event, meeting, or gathering.
Registered participants will be notified of any schedule changes. For updates regarding inclement weather, please check your email or visit NJSBA.com.
By participating in our events, meetings, or other gatherings, you agree to be photographed and/or recorded. Additionally, all media content captured during these gatherings will become the property of NJSBA. This content, including your image and name, may be used in our future promotional materials without additional consent or compensation.
Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy:
Read our Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy and submit an Application here: https://njsba.com/njicle/cle-programs/scholarship/