Best of NJICLE Replay – Class Action Playbook
Date: Sep 23, 2023 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Member Price: $190
Non-Member Price: $250
- Lisa R. Considine, Esq.
- Disabato & Considine LLC, Rutherford
- Hon. Joel Schneider (Ret.)
- David J. DiSabato, Esq.
- DiSabato & Considine LLC, Rutherford
- Kelly M. Purcaro, Esq.
- Greenspoon Marder, LLP, Newark
- Ross H. Schmierer, Esq.
- Schmierer Law Group, Mount Laurel
- David E. Sellinger, Esq.
- Greenberg Traurig LLP, Florham Park
Best of NJICLE Replay
Don't miss this opportunity to catch up on the Class Action Playbook program you missed!
Class actions are complex law suits that require specialized knowledge of the law and filing procedures. In this replay, a former federal court judge and a panel of class action lawyers will walk you through the basic concerns you need to know to handle this type of case. Register now for this replay!
- Initial Concerns
- Why to proceed as a class action
- Class member rights
- Class certification requirements
- Benefits and pitfalls of certification
- Case Selections
- Identifying a Potential Class Action Lawsuit (Products; consumer fraud/misrepresentation; civil rights)
- Strengths and Weaknesses to look for in evaluating potential claim
- Consideration of using co-counsel on strong case
- Filing your complaint
- Choice of Forum: Federal vs State Court
- Prerequisites to filing; form of state and federal class action complaints/ summonses
- Notice to Class Requirements
- Damages vs Injunctive/equitable relief
- The motion to dismiss
- Typical class action motions by plaintiffs and defendants
- Case management and Discovery issues
- When and how to handle settlement discussions
- Dealing with Prior and Subsequent filings by other class members
- Settlement proceedings
- Handling opt-out issues
- Procedures for paying class members
- Case Law Update and Practical Issues
- Legal Fee applications and issues
- Key Cases to Know