Certified Civil Trial Exam Prep Course
Date: Sep 9, 2023 8:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Member Price: $180
Non-Member Price: $225
Section Price: $169
Areas of Law: Civil, Ethics
Earn up to 7.3 credits, including 1.0 in Ethics! (More Information)
- Robert Gallop, Esq.
- O'Toole Scrivo, LLC, Cedar GroveCertified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, is a Partner in O’Toole Scrivo, LLC in Cedar Grove, New Jersey. He concentrates his practice in personal injury litigation including wrongful death, dram shop and social host liability, premises liability, and employment law matters under the ADA and NJLAD. He has been involved in several reported decisions.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, Mr. Gallop is a former Deputy Mayor and Committeeman in Chatham Township. He is Past President of the Brennan/Vanderbilt American Inn of Court, a member of the Justice Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resolution and has lectured for ICLE.
Mr. Gallop received his A.B., magna cum laude, from Syracuse University and his J. D. from George Washington University, The National Law Center.
- Hon. Gregg A. Padovano, JSC
- was sworn in as a judge of the New Jersey Superior Court in February 2015 and sits in Hackensack, New Jersey. He initially served in the Family Division and has served in the Civil Division in Bergen since 2015. He has been assigned to handle civil trials, actions in lieu of prerogative writs and Mt. Laurel/affordable housing matters.
Prior to his appointment to the Superior Court, Judge Padovano worked at the law firm Beattie Padovano, LLC in Montvale, New Jersey, where he concentrated his practice in land use, real property tax, municipal law and insurance defense litigation. He served as a Municipal Court Judge for the Township of South Hackensack and was a Municipal Court Prosecutor for the Borough of Moonachie. He represented land use boards for several municipalities, including Leonia, Oradell, Maywood and Weehawken, and also served as Mayor of the Borough of Maywood immediately prior to his appointment to the bench.
Judge Padovano received his B.A. from Gettysburg College and his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law.
- Diane Cardoso, Esq.
- PRESIDENT-ELECT, Hudson County Bar, NJSBA
Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC, KearnyCertified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, is a Partner in Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC in Kearney, New Jersey. She concentrates her practice in civil litigation involving automobile negligence, premises liability, construction site negligence, medical malpractice and legal malpractice.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, Ms. Cardoso is First Vice President of the Hudson County Bar Association and Treasurer of the New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ). She is a member of the Hudson County Bar Association’s Civil Arbitration Selection and Civil Practice Committees, and is the co-founding Chair of the Association’s Women in Law Section. Ms. Cardoso is Secretary of the American Association for Justice’s Women Trial Lawyer Caucus and is a member of the Board of Governors of the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association. She is a 2017-2018 Fellow of the New Jersey State Bar Association Leadership Academy.
Ms. Cardoso was the recipient of the 2021 American Association for Justice Women Trial Lawyers Caucus Excellence in Leadership Award, the 2021 American Association for Justice Distinguished Service Award, the 2017 Professionalism of the Year Award from the Hudson County Bar Association and several other honors. She has lectured for ICLE, the Hudson and Essex County Bar Associations, and the New Jersey Association for Justice.
Ms. Cardoso received her B.A. from Seton Hall University and her J.D. and Certificate in International Law from Pace University School of Law. Upon graduation from law school she served a Judicial Clerkship with the Honorable Dennis F. Carey, III and the Honorable John C. Kennedy, Judges of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Marc D. Garfinkle, Esq.
- The Law Office of Marc Garfinkle, Morristownmaintains a solo practice in Morristown, New Jersey, where since 2012 he has limited his practice to matters relating to legal ethics, bar admission, judicial misconduct and attorney discipline. He has also been the municipal public defender in Livingston, New Jersey.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and California, and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the Northern District of California, Mr. Garfinkle is a former New Jersey ethics investigator and has been a member of the American, New Jersey State, Morris County and Essex County Bar Associations, as well as the Association for CLE Administrators (ACLEA). He is Past Chair of the District VB Ethics Committee, has written a monthly “Practice Paper” on legal ethics for the New Jersey Law Journal, and is a frequent guest of the media in professional responsibility matters. In addition to lecturing for ICLE, Mr. Garfinkle produces live ethics and “new lawyer” CLE for attorneys coast to coast, and his clients have included state bar associations in Ohio, Missouri, South Carolina, Alaska and Oregon, as well as the ICE trial attorneys for the United States Department of Homeland Security. His online programs have been produced by Lawline.com, West LegalEduCenter, Solo University.com and RocketMatterCLE, among other providers. Having taught Persuasion and Advocacy at Seton Hall Law School since 2007, he is also the self-published author of several books including $olo Contendere: How to Go Directly from Law School into the Practice of Law Without Getting a Job (3d. Ed.), The Hip-Pocket Guide to Testifying in Court, The New Lawyer’s Hip-Pocket Guide to Appearing in Court and The Hip-Pocket Guide to Speaking in Public.
Mr. Garfinkle received his B.A. from Marietta College and his J.D. from UC Hastings (formerly Hastings College of the Law, University of California).
- Lauren M. Strollo, Esq.
- Vasios, Kelly & Strollo, PA, UnionCertified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, is a Partner in Vasios, Strollo & Duran, P.A. in Union, New Jersey. She concentrates her practice in the defense of medical malpractice matters, including the representation of hospitals, physicians, nurses, other hospital employees and hospital administrators.
Ms. Strollo is admitted to practice in New Jersey, Maryland and the District of Columbia, and before the United States Supreme Court. She is an elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), has served as a Master of the American Inns of Court and has lectured on medical malpractice litigation topics to health care providers and lawyers.
Ms. Strollo received her undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania and her law degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law, where she was a member of the University’s International Law Moot Court Team. After completing a summer course at the Notre Dame University School of Law, London campus, she served as a Legal Intern with the United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization and with the Honorable Norman P. Ramsey of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. She also served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable John A. Marzulli, Assignment Judge of the Superior Court, Essex County.
A course for those looking seeking a comprehensive survey of NJ Civil Trial Practice, OR preparation for the Certification Exam
This seminar provides a broad overview of civil trial practice for attorneys who are prepping for the Civil Trial Certification Exam or who want a comprehensive course review of civil trial practice. Presented by New Jersey Certified Civil Trial practitioners along with a Civil Practice Division judge, our program reviews subjects most likely to arise in civil trial practice as set forth by the Board of Attorney Certification.
Learn from a New Jersey State Court Judge and a panel of attorneys certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as Civil Trial Attorneys.
This seminar will review the following subject areas, which are also the required subjects for the Civil Trial Certification exam:
- Pretrial Preparation
- Problem recognition - advisability of suit-cost considerations
- Jurisdiction, venue, and choice of forum
- Applicability of statute of limitations
- Ethical considerations - conflict of interest - fee arrangements
- Competency to accept employment
- Retainer agreement
- Legal research
- Settlement procedures
- Demand letter
- Filing Suit
- Elements of causes of action and defenses
- Elements of damages
- Temporary restraining orders and permanent injunctions and other extraordinary remedies
- Pretrial discovery and related motions
- Defensive cross-claims and counterclaims
- Pretrial practice
- Trial strategy and tactics
- Jury selection
- Opening statement
- Introduction and exclusion of evidence
- Competency of witnesses
- Opinion and expert testimony
- Hearsay and hearsay exceptions
- Exclusion for valid reason of evidence otherwise admissible
- Judicial notice
- Documentary and physical evidence
- Offer for limited purpose and re-offer
- Offer of proof
- Motions during trial
- Establishing a trial court record for appeal
- Objections to evidence
- Exceptions to charges
- Requests to charge the jury
- Special interrogatories to the jury
- Court's charge and instruction to the jury
- Jury deliberation
- Findings of fact and conclusions of law
- Post-verdict motions
- Rules of Professional Conduct