Ethical Topics in Cannabis Law
Date: Dec 14, 2023 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Member Price: $140
Non-Member Price: $175
Section Price: $131
Areas of Law: Cannabis
Earn up to 2.4 credits, including 2.4 in Ethics! (More Information)
- Valisha Desir, Esq.
- The Glory Firm, New Brunswick
- Sarah Powell, Esq.
- Florio Perrucci Steinhardt Cappelli Tipton LLC, Easton
- Seth Tipton, Esq.
- Florio Perrucci Steinhardt & Cappelli LLC, Easton
Presented in cooperation with the NJSBA Cannabis Law Special Committee
Though state laws and public opinion have softened on cannabis – as a business venture and its individual use – legal restrictions and ethics rules at the federal level can present unique challenges for attorneys. Those who represent cannabis clients in New Jersey walk a blurred line between violating the federal cannabis prohibition laws and complying the state rules for running a cannabis business. And, in many states, legal professionals who use cannabis legally may be violating their own state ethics rules by knowingly committing a federal crime. This program, presented by experts in New Jersey cannabis law, will delve into the many ethical pitfalls that attorneys must navigate when they take on cannabis clients or opt for its recreational use.
- An overview of New Jersey’s cannabis law, its history and evolution;
- Social equity and diversity in New Jersey’s cannabis law;
- How state and federal cannabis laws differ;
- How the cannabis industry relates to rules of professional conduct;
- The necessity of client disclosures, background checking and diligent vetting; and
- Cannabis law and malpractice insurance.