Will and Trust Drafting Fundamentals
Date: Mar 26, 2024 9:00 a.m. – 5:05 p.m.
Member Price: $250
Non-Member Price: $250
Will Drafting Fundamentals Post Pandemic
Morning Session: 9:00 a.m. – 12:35 p.m.
Judson M. Stein, Esq.
McCarter & English, LLP, Newark
Lauren M. Ahern, Esq.
Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP, Lincroft
Brian D. Reynolds, Esq.
Prince & Reynolds PC, Basking Ridge
Tara Sinha, Esq.
Witman Stadtmauer PA, Florham Park
Deirdre Wheatley-Liss, Esq., CELA
Porzio Bromberg & Newman, Morristown
Register today to learn everything you need to know to draft wills that withstand even the toughest scrutiny and get the best results for the clients. You’ll also learn important provisions that need to be included in a will, along with the procedures required for the proper execution of a will.
This fundamental program is designed for general practitioners, new attorneys and support staff who have little or no experience in will drafting and need a step-by-step guide through the process. It starts with the initial client interview and the ethical considerations you need to keep in mind while conducting it. Learn what questions to ask and how to ask them. From there, learn how to decide which options work best for individual clients and get different sample drafting ideas. Finally, discover the proper way to prepare the final document for execution. You’ll see how seasoned estate planning attorneys fashion a will - clause by clause.Topics include:
- The initial client interview and ethical considerations - Lauren M. Ahern, Esq.
- Sample Annotated Simple Will, including the proper execution of a will - Deirdre R. Wheatley-Liss, Esq., CELA
- Summary of Federal and New Jersey Death Taxes - Judson M. Stein, Esq.
- Basic Testamentary Estate Planning - Brian D. Reynolds, Esq.
- Special Situations (e.g. same-sex couples, second marriages, disabled beneficiaries, unmarried cohabitants, family businesses, pets) - Tara Sinha, Esq.
- What’s New in Will Drafting and Things You Don’t Know You Need to Know - Entire panel
Trust Drafting Fundamentals
Afternoon Session: 1:30 p.m. – 5:05 p.m.
Joshua F. Cheslow, Esq.
Drescher & Cheslow, PA, Manalapan
Timothy M. Ferges, Esq.
McCarter & English, LLP, Newark
Mark R. Friedman, Esq.
Friedman Law, Bridgewater
Michael Poreda, Esq.
Lydecker, Jersey City
Stacey M. Valentine, Esq.
Avelino Law, LLP, Morristown
Never drafted a trust before and want to know how? This practical program will give you what you need to know so that you can confidently provide your clients with well-drafted asset planning instruments. Learn the essentials of drafting a variety of trusts and how to determine which type of trust is best for your clients’ particular needs. This course may also serve as an excellent refresher for more experienced practitioners or those who haven’t drafted a trust in a while.
An experienced panel of Trusts and Estates practitioners will share with you their tips so you can build a strong foundation for trust drafting in today’s ever-changing estate planning environment. Learn the latest in the tax and trust laws and the correct language to ensure you draft the best trust you can.Among the topics the panel will cover are:
- Basics of trust drafting and using trusts in estate planning - types of trusts and how to choose the best ones for your clients
- Planning with trusts in the present tax environment - tax implications you need to consider
- Special needs trusts and Elder Law - when to use a special needs trust - a type of trust that can protect a disabled person's eligibility for valuable government benefits, often used in conjunction with estate planning, personal injury recoveries, divorce settlements and other situations where a person with disabilities would receive moneys.
- Uniform Trust Code - How it impacts your drafting
- Ethics, Diversity and Inclusion in Trusts and Estates - working with clients with diverse backgrounds
- Your questions and answers
Leave this program with the tools, skills and knowledge necessary to immediately start drafting trusts with confidence and ability. If you’ve ever thought about making trust drafting a part of your practice, this is how you get started!
Important Information About Our Events, Meetings, and More:
To secure your spot and receive important updates about our events, meetings, and other gatherings, such as schedule changes, remember to register in advance.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration and are not transferring to another program or date, please submit a written request to us at least three business days before the event, meeting, or gathering. You will receive a refund minus a $20.00 cancellation fee. No refunds or registration changes will be issued within three business days of the event, meeting, or gathering.
Registered participants will be notified of any schedule changes. For updates regarding inclement weather, please check your email or visit NJSBA.com.
By participating in our events, meetings, or other gatherings, you agree to be photographed and/or recorded. Additionally, all media content captured during these gatherings will become the property of NJSBA. This content, including your image and name, may be used in our future promotional materials without additional consent or compensation.
Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy:
Read our Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy and submit an Application here: https://njsba.com/njicle/cle-programs/scholarship/