2023 Animal Law Symposium
Date: Dec 16, 2023 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Member Price: $160
Non-Member Price: $200
Section Price: $152
- Kathleen Applegate, Esq.
- Princeton University, Princeton
- Gina A. Calogero, Esq.
- Gina A. Calogero, Attorney At Law, Franklin
- Philip S. Goldberg, Esq.
- Shook Hardy & Bacon, Washington
- Dr. Nancy Halpern, Esq.
- Fox Rothschild LLP, Lawrenceville
- Jacob V. Hudnut, Esq.
City of Jersey City, Jersey City
- Thomas Leach, Esq.
- Thomas Leach, Esq., Atco
- Doris Lin, Esq.
- Law Offices of Doris Lin, Esq., Freehold
- Paul J. Tartanella, Esq
- Paul J. Tartanella, Esq, Pennington
Animal Law continues to be a practice area undergoing significant growth and change. The need to understand legal issues related to animals is becoming a necessity for practitioners in many areas of the law. No matter what area of the law you practice, the 2023 Animal Law Symposium will get you up-to-date on the latest developments in this ever-evolving practice area, including case law, regulatory changes, and legislative initiatives.
- 9:00 | Introduction
- 9:05 | Remedies Under NJ Law to Help Avert the Extinction Crisis - Kathleen Applegate, Esq.; Paul J. Tartanella, Esq.
- 9:42 | Legal personhood for animals - Thomas Leach, Esq.
- Relationship between legal personhood, standing, and legislative initiatives
- Real world impact of legal personhood status on animal ownership
- Current and future of New Jersey law as at relates to status of animals
- Desmond’s Law legislation in New Jersey vs. Connecticut law
- 10:19 | New Jersey’s Bear Hunt and Administrative Law - Doris Lin, Esq.
- 10:56 | Break
- 11:06 | Amicus briefs filed on behalf of the AVMA and other organizations - Philip S. Goldberg, Esq.
- Non-economic damages
- Legal personhood
- And the negative impact to animal health and welfare that would result from such initiatives
- 11:43 | Tails of Disaster Preparedness: A Case Study of the Federal Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act - Jacob V. Hudnut, Esq.
- 12:20 | Animal Law 101 - Dr. Nancy Halpern, Esq.
- General Animal Law—Difference between Animal Law and Animal Rights Law
- The intended and unintended consequences to activist initiatives
- 12:57 | Q&A
- 1:00 | Adjourn