A Lawyer’s Guide to Communicating Assertively
Date: Nov 16, 2023 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Member Price: $152
Non-Member Price: $190
- Thomas F. Blaisse, MA
- TFB Consulting, Harrisburg
Lawyers are in the business of convincing people. To be credible, we must learn to communicate assertively with colleagues, opponents, and judges, so they are receptive to us and what we have to say. Aggressive behavior can sabotage relationships and our attempts to share our points of view with others. How we deliver our messages is as important as the messages themselves.
Learn the difference between assertive and aggressive communication at this 3-hour session aimed at helping attorneys understand that assertiveness is a desirable human trait needed for honest & healthy relationships. Assertive behavior is required for “Win-Win” outcomes in negotiation, conflict resolution, and business dealings. Because there is no correct assertiveness level, we need to be flexible in our approach when communicating with others - understanding where the other person is coming from and adjust according to the needs of a given situation.
Tom Blaisse has delivered over 3,000 engaging, energetic, and humorous presentations and workshops to over 100,000 participants nationwide, His natural gift for connecting with people creates a fun, interactive learning environment. His presentation will empower and inspire you to implement new ideas in your life and help you achieve greater results.
- Recognize your own “assertive rights” and those of others
- Differentiate between assertive, aggressive, and passive behavior
- Recognize your own behavioral tendencies and learn how to adapt appropriately
- Learn how to deal with people’s lack of assertiveness
- Handle aggressive behavior with greater confidence
- Develop an action plan for adjusting your approach in a variety of different work situations