Funny You Should Ask–What Representing Comedy Writers and C
Date: Sep 12, 2022 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The world of professional comedy is serious business! In fact, the same topics that are important to comedians – copyright, trademark, contract drafting, fair use, restrictive covenants, social media law, defamation and free speech issues – overlap into many different legal practices.
This informative yet entertaining program will be presented by an attorney and comedian, using video clips of comedians such as, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and Eddie Murphy to provide you with a solid understanding and working knowledge of a wide variety of practical issues every attorney can use. You’ll also receive an analysis of important cases and issues to watch out for in the coming months.
Who says lawyers can’t be funny? Laugh and learn with us so that your clients will give YOU the standing ovation.
Precedent-setting cases will be examined to present a thorough history as well as provide the current state of affairs on these topics.
Pick up strategies for confidently handling a wide variety of legal issues at this fun, yet incredibly practical program, including:
- Trademark & Copyright issues
- Is my song parody a “fair use” of the original song?
- What is the legal difference between parody and satire?
- How do I register a copyright and is it worth doing?
- Industry standards that will make a beginner look like a pro
- Performance contracts – clauses that will make your contract sing
- Social media and privacy issues
- Legal issues surrounding crowdfunding
- YouTube yeses and no’s
- Dealing with agents vs managers
- Employee vs independent contractors
- Serious topics for comedy writers
- Who owns the product when your client is hired as an independent contractor
- Labor and employment issues
- Tax issues
- And more
- First Amendment protections