Handling the New Jersey Residential Real Estate Deal
Date: Jan 11, 2024 9:00 a.m. – 12:35 p.m.
Member Price: $160
Non-Member Price: $200
- Daniel Barli, Esq.
- Barli & Associates LLC, Clifton
- Howard C. Chernoff, Esq.
- Law Offices of Howard C. Chernoff, Union
- Paula M. Zwiren, JD, MBA, CTP
- President, Zwiren Title Agency, Inc., Livingston
Each year, thousands of residential real estate closings are handled in New Jersey. Being able to handle these transactions presents an excellent opportunity for both general practitioners and new attorneys to build their practice. This program has been divided into a discussion of pre-closing concerns and settlement/closing items. In just one morning, you will gain a solid foundation to the basics of handling the residential real estate deal. What you learn will enable you to immediately begin handling these transactions and attract clients to your firm.
Program to include discussion of:
- Pre-closing - The Real Estate Contract and Rider
- The statewide contract
- Termite inspection
- Home Inspection: What inspections need to be done? What inspectors should you use?
- Radon and lead testing
- Dealing with real estate brokers and agents
- Documents and Title Insurance
- The deed
- Affidavit of consideration
- Affidavit of title
- Notices of settlement
- Discharges of old liens
- Title insurance - what it includes and what it doesn’t?
- Title commitment
- Title binder
- Marked-up title
- Title and abstract companies
- Working with a title agent
- How to apportion taxes
- How to arrive at settlement costs
- How to come up with the final number that the buyer must pay to the seller
- Recording fees
- Realty transfer taxes
- Complying with the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure reporting requirements
- Completing Loan Estimate and Closing Disclosure forms