Replay – New Jersey’s New Anti-SLAPP Law
Date: Jan 28, 2024 9:00 a.m. – 10:40 a.m.
Member Price: $110
Non-Member Price: $149
- Bruce S. Rosen, Esq.
- Pashman Stein Walder Hayden, P.C., Hackensackis a Partner in Pashman Stein Walder Hayden, P.C. in Hackensack, New Jersey. He has been a media lawyer for more than 25 years, following a career as an award-winning newspaper reporter and editor. He has been associated with high-profile First Amendment litigations related to free speech, media law (including defamation, access to courts and open public records) and religious freedom. More recently, Mr. Rosen has been involved with crisis management, web defamation, workplace privacy, appropriation of image and data theft. He also represents public corporate clients as well as individuals who own and/or manage private businesses, and has extensive experience in complex and standard commercial litigation, including employment litigation and counseling, environmental law and insurance coverage, business disputes, class action defense and public-school issues, as well as web defamation, workplace privacy, appropriation of image and data theft.
Mr. Rosen is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York and the District of Columbia, and before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York; the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits; and the United States Supreme Court. A Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, he is a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Attorney Advertising, the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers-NJ and the Editorial Board of the New Jersey Law Journal. Mr. Rosen is a founding member of the New Jersey Media Lawyers Association, has been a member of the Defense Counsel Section of the Media Law Resource Center and is Past Chair of the Media Law Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He is a former member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Criminal Practice Committee and serves on the United States District Court Criminal Justice Act Panel.
Professor Rosen has been an adjunct professor of Law and Mass Communications for Rutgers University School of Law-Newark since 2003. His articles have appeared in the New Jersey Lawyer, the New Jersey Law Journal and other publications, and he has lectured for a number of organizations and CLE providers.
Professor Rosen received his B.S. from Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he served as an editor of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal. He clerked for the Honorable H. Lee Sarokin, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, in Newark, New Jersey.
- Lincoln Bandlow, Esq.
- Lincoln Bandlow Law, Los Angeles
- Senator Joseph A. Lagana, (District 38)
- Cleary, Giacobbe, Alfieri & Jacobs, LLC, Oakland
Best of NJICLE Replay
Don't miss this opportunity to catch up on the New Jersey's New Anti-SLAPP Law seminar you missed!
On September 7th, 2023, Governor Murphy signed “The Uniform Public Expression Protection Act,” which provides an expedited process for dismissal of “Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation” (“SLAPP”) suits. Powerful entities and individuals often use lawsuits and litigation threats to punish and silence those who might speak unfavorably about them. The bipartisan legislation will enable defendants to seek the expedited dismissal of such lawsuits which have historically been used against journalists, academics, advocates, and whistleblowers – among others – and potentially collect legal fees. The new law took effect in early October of 2023.
In this replay, Senator Joseph A. Lagana, one of the sponsors of the bill, along with Bruce S. Rosen, a partner at Pashman Stein Walder Hayden PC with more than 35 years of experience in high profile First Amendment litigation and a longtime proponent of the new law, and Lincoln Bandlow, a California media/entertainment law practitioner attorney with 30 years experience litigating SLAPP suits, will present a seminar on everything you need to know about the new law.
- How the new law against Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation (SLAPP) works
- What out-of-state court rulings are New Jersey Courts likely to use to initially interpret the new law
- How New Jersey’s existing defamation law fits into the analysis
Important Information About Our Events, Meetings, and More:
To secure your spot and receive important updates about our events, meetings, and other gatherings, such as schedule changes, remember to register in advance.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration and are not transferring to another program or date, please submit a written request to us at least three business days before the event, meeting, or gathering. You will receive a refund minus a $20.00 cancellation fee. No refunds or registration changes will be issued within three business days of the event, meeting, or gathering.
Registered participants will be notified of any schedule changes. For updates regarding inclement weather, please check your email or visit NJSBA.com.
By participating in our events, meetings, or other gatherings, you agree to be photographed and/or recorded. Additionally, all media content captured during these gatherings will become the property of NJSBA. This content, including your image and name, may be used in our future promotional materials without additional consent or compensation.
Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy:
Read our Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy and submit an Application here: https://njsba.com/njicle/cle-programs/scholarship/