Representing Non-Profit and Charitable Organizations
Date: Sep 30, 2022 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
There are thousands of non-profit organizations in New Jersey. They include social services agencies, charitable organizations, foundations, advocacy groups, hospitals, schools and professional associations. From the Girl Scouts to the Salvation Army, they perform a wide variety of work and employ thousands of people. Non-profits are an important part of our economy and our lives would be very different without them. Proper formation and maintenance of tax-exempt status, as well as compliance with a host of state and federal laws, are crucial for the survival of these groups and organizations.
This program will teach you how to properly form a non-profit and provide practical advice about counseling these organizations about tax exempt status, fund raising and lobbying.
Learn everything you need to know to properly advise your non-profit clients, including:
- How to Form and Start a New Jersey Non-Profit Corporation
- Becoming Tax-Exempt
- Special Considerations for Religious Organizations
- Maintaining Tax-Exempt Status
- Fundraising and Solicitation Issues
- State and Federal Regulation of Charitable and Non-Profit Organizations
- Excess Benefit Transactions and Self-Dealing Considerations
- Lobbying and Political Activities
- Liability, Indemnification and D&O Issues
- Governance Issues
- What Can Cause Problems and How to Stay out of Trouble
- Related Caselaw
- ... and more!