Taylor’s Version: Copyright Law in the Swift Era
Date: Dec 19, 2023 2:00 p.m. – 3:40 p.m.
Member Price: $99
Non-Member Price: $125
Areas of Law: Entertainment, Arts & Sports, Intellectual Property
Earn up to 2 credits! (More Information)
- Carrie Ward, Esq.
- Earp Cohn P.C., Cherry Hill
Presented in cooperation with the NJSBA Intellectual Property Law Special Committee
Join us for a session that will cover the essentials of copyright law, enforcing copyright protections, and how copyrights are used as revenue streams using Taylor Swift’s career as a case study. This session is designed for anyone looking to understand the key elements of copyright in the arts and entertainment sectors and how to use them to their advantage.
- 2:00 | Introduction
- 2:05 | “Creating Copyright: A Taylor Swift Journey"
Explore the automatic nature of copyright upon creation, illustrated by Taylor Swift's songwriting and recording process.
- 2:30 | "Shake It Off": Navigating copyright infringement claims
Explore how artists like Taylor Swift deal with infringement claims, including analyzing the defense strategies and legal precedents set by such cases.
- 3:00 | "Look What You Made Me Do": The impact of copyright ownership on artist control
Discuss the significance of owning copyrights, drawing parallels to Taylor Swift's re-recording of her albums for more creative control and revenue.
- 3:15 | "Blank Space": The role of copyright law in music streaming services
Examine the complexities of copyright law in the era of streaming services using Taylor Swift's advocacy for fair artist compensation as a case study.
- 3:30 | "Wildest Dreams": Future trends in copyright revenue streams
Predict the evolution of copyright revenue streams in the music industry, taking inspiration from Taylor Swift's innovative approaches to monetizing her music and brand.
- 3:40 | Adjourn