Dealing with Pro Se Litigants
Date: Aug 15, 2023 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Member Price: $99
Non-Member Price: $125
Section Price: $99
Areas of Law: Ethics, For All Attorneys
Earn up to 2.3 credits, including 1.0 in Ethics! (More Information)
- Joshua H. Reinitz, Esq.
- Iacullo, Martino & Reinitz, NutleyCertified as a Municipal Court Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, is a Partner in Iacullo Martino & Reinitz, LLC in Nutley, New Jersey, where he concentrates his practice in the defense of clients facing criminal or quasi-criminal charges in the municipal and Superior Courts of New Jersey. He has also been a municipal prosecutor and municipal public defender in multiple municipalities in New Jersey.
Admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of New Jersey, Mr. Reinitz is Past Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association Municipal Court Practice Section, was elected its Legislative Coordinator and is a member of the NJSBA’s Standing Committee on Legislation. He was selected to serve in the inaugural class of Fellows in the NJSBA Leadership Academy and has served on the Selection and Advisory Committees, and on the Office of Attorney Ethics District V-C Fee Arbitration Committee. Mr. Reinitz was selected by Chief Justice Rabner to serve on the Supreme Court’s Municipal Court Practice Committee and the Court’s Working Group on Municipal Court Reform. He has been a Councilman in the Borough of Fair Lawn, has lectured for ICLE and is the recipient of several honors, including the New Leader of the Bar Award bestowed by the New Jersey Law Journal and the 2019 NJSBA Municipal Court Practitioner of the Year.
Mr. Reinitz is a graduate of Rutgers College and Rutgers School of Law-Newark. He was a law clerk to the Honorable Eugene H. Austin, J.S.C., Bergen County.
- Tracey Goldstein, Esq.
- Feinstein Raiss Kelin Booker & Goldstein LLC, Livingstonis a Partner in Feinstein, Raiss, Kelin, Booker & Goldstein LLC in Livingston, New Jersey, where she represents and counsels multi-family apartment owners, property managers and developers in real estate-related litigation. Her areas of concentration include novel and complex landlord/tenant issues, contract and real estate disputes, residential and commercial evictions, rent control and housing discrimination matters, and toxic tort defense (mold and lead paint). She has been involved in several published decisions and also counsels the New Jersey Apartment Association (NJAA) on emerging landlord-tenant issues and key legislation.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, Ms. Goldstein is a member of the New Jersey State, Essex County, Hudson County and Creditor’s Bar Associations. She serves on the Board of Directors of the NJAA, is a member of the Property Owners Association and the New Jersey Affordable Housing Management Association, and has collaborated with the Office of the Governor. She has testified before the New Jersey Assembly Judiciary Committee and has served as a panelist for the Division on Civil Rights.
Ms. Goldstein has lectured for ICLE, Rutgers Law School, the Hudson County Bar Association, NJ Cooperator, NJAA, the Property Owners Association and the New Jersey Affordable Housing Management Association. She is a sought-after media resource and has garnered numerous business and industry honors, and her articles have appeared in New Jersey Lawyer and the NJ Apartment Industry Magazine. In 2021 she was the recipient of ICLE’s Distinguished Service Award for her many years of service to the Institute.
Ms. Goldstein received her B.A. from the State University of New York at Albany and her law degree from Western New England School of Law.
- Jennifer Iseman, Esq.
- Deputy Ethics Counsel, Office of Attorney Ethics, Trentonis Deputy Ethics Counsel with the Office of Attorney Ethics in Ewing, New Jersey. Prior to joining the OAE, she was a Partner in the Family Law Department at Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel LLP and an associate at the Law Office of Patricia Ronayne, Esquire P.C., a small boutique family law firm in South Jersey.
Ms. Iseman received her B.S. from Penn State University and her J.D. from Widener University School of Law. She was a law clerk to the Honorable John L. Call, Jr., P.J.F.P. (Ret.).
- Stephanie Lomurro, Esq.
- Manzi Epstein Lomurro & DeCataldo, LLC, Montclairis Managing Partner of Manzi Epstein Lomurro & DeCataldo, LLC in Montclair, New Jersey, where she concentrates her practice in family law and is also a R. 1:40 Mediator.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, Ms. Lomurro is a member of the New Jersey State, Essex County, Hudson County and Union County Bar Associations, and has been a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Family Law Executive Committee, where she is a former Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers Subcommittee. She has been a Trustee of the Hudson County Bar Association and an Early Settlement Panelist in Hudson and Union Counties. A member of the District IV (Hudson County) Ethics Committee, she is a Trustee of CASA of New Jersey and an Associate Editor of The New Jersey Family Lawyer (published by the New Jersey State Bar Association).
Co-author of Litigation Technology for the Modern Practitioner, Ms. Lomurro has lectured for ICLE, the Justice Virginia Long Family Law American Inn of Court and the New Jersey Association for Justice. She has also completed the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Family Law Trial Advocacy Program and was a member of the inaugural class of the New Jersey State Bar Association Leadership Academy.
Ms. Lomurro received her B.A. from Drew University and her J.D. from New York Law School. She was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Sallyanne Floria, Assignment Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County (now retired).
Attorneys are often involved in a case where the opposing side is not represented by an attorney, and the party is proceeding to represent themselves, “pro se”. The pro se litigant is not an attorney and is generally not familiar with court practice and procedure, giving rise to a host of various concerns. Cases involving pro se litigants are most prevalent in the areas of landlord tenant law, family law, municipal court law and small claims matters. At this convenient mid-day virtual conference, our panel of well-respected New Jersey attorneys will discuss some of the considerations you need to be aware of and offer practice tips for dealing with the pro se litigant.
Grab your lunch, log in to this virtual conference and gain insight on:
- Self-help kits available through the AOC for pro se litigants
- Communicating with a pro se litigant
- Dealing with delays
- Possible threats to attorneys
- Dealing with issues involving a pro se’s lack of knowledge of procedure, the law, and decorum at proceedings
- A landlord attorney’s perspective
- A family law attorney’s perspective
- A municipal court attorney’s perspective
Important Information About Our Events, Meetings, and More:
To secure your spot and receive important updates about our events, meetings, and other gatherings, such as schedule changes, remember to register in advance.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration and are not transferring to another program or date, please submit a written request to us at least three business days before the event, meeting, or gathering. You will receive a refund minus a $20.00 cancellation fee. No refunds or registration changes will be issued within three business days of the event, meeting, or gathering.
Registered participants will be notified of any schedule changes. For updates regarding inclement weather, please check your email or visit NJSBA.com.
By participating in our events, meetings, or other gatherings, you agree to be photographed and/or recorded. Additionally, all media content captured during these gatherings will become the property of NJSBA. This content, including your image and name, may be used in our future promotional materials without additional consent or compensation.
Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy:
Read our Scholarship & Financial Assistance Policy and submit an Application here: https://njsba.com/njicle/cle-programs/scholarship/