Multicounty Litigation – Mass Torts: 2023
Date: Jun 26, 2023 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Location: 1 Constitution Square, New Brunswick
Areas of Law: Civil, Product Liability & Mass Tort
Earn up to 4.5 credits! (More Information)
- Hon. Melanie L. Cyganowski
- Hon. Bruce J. Kaplan
- Hon. Brian R. Martinotti
- Hon. Gregg A. Padovano, JSC
- was sworn in as a judge of the New Jersey Superior Court in February 2015 and sits in Hackensack, New Jersey. He initially served in the Family Division and has served in the Civil Division in Bergen since 2015. He has been assigned to handle civil trials, actions in lieu of prerogative writs and Mt. Laurel/affordable housing matters.
Prior to his appointment to the Superior Court, Judge Padovano worked at the law firm Beattie Padovano, LLC in Montvale, New Jersey, where he concentrated his practice in land use, real property tax, municipal law and insurance defense litigation. He served as a Municipal Court Judge for the Township of South Hackensack and was a Municipal Court Prosecutor for the Borough of Moonachie. He represented land use boards for several municipalities, including Leonia, Oradell, Maywood and Weehawken, and also served as Mayor of the Borough of Maywood immediately prior to his appointment to the bench.
Judge Padovano received his B.A. from Gettysburg College and his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law.
- Hon. John C. Porto
- Hon. Ana C. Viscomi, JSC
- Lynne M. Kizis, Esq.
- Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A., Woodbridge
- David R. Kott, Esq.
- McCarter & English LLP, Newark
- Rukhsanah L. Lighari, Esq.
- Connell Foley LLP, Roseland
- Moshe Maimon
- Levy Konigsberg LLP, Lawrenceville
- Michelle Parfitt
- Ashcraft & Gerel, LLP
- Christopher M. Placitella, Esq.
- Cohen, Placitella & Roth, PC, Red Bank
- Kenneth A. Rosen, Esq
- Lowenstein Sandler LLP, Roseland
- Patty Schwartz
- Patty Schwartz, Pompton Lakes
- Susan Sharko
- Faegre Drinker Biddle, Florham Park
New Jersey recognizes several Mass Tort and Non-Mass Tort Centrally Managed cases that are handled by the Multicounty Litigation Section. There are currently 22 multicounty litigations in New Jersey (MCLs). Those include Abilify, HealthPlus Surgery Center, Physiomesh, Proceed Surgical Mesh/Proceed Ventral Patch, Prolene Hernia System Mesh, Proton-Pump Inhibitors, Singulair, Strattice Hernia Mesh, Talc-Powder, Allergan Biocell Textured Breast Implants, DePuy ASR Hip Implant, Elmiron, HealthPlus Surgery Center, Pelvic Mesh, Stryker Hip/ABG II, Stryker LFIT CoCr V40 Femoral Heads, Stryker Trident Hip Implants, Tasigna, Asbestos, Fosamax, Taxotere/Docetaxel and Zostavax.
Certain Superior Court Judges have been assigned by the Chief Justice to exclusively manage these cases. New Jersey Federal court also serves as the Multi District Litigation Court for Elmiron, J&J Talcum, Allergen, Plavix, Invokana, ProtonPump, American Medical Collection Agency, Samsung, as well as numerous other state and national class actions.
At this year’s MCL seminar, NJICLE has assembled an esteemed panel of judges as well as leading practitioners to review some of the most recent developments and address the ins and outs of handling multicounty and multi district litigation cases in New Jersey State and Federal Court.
Why You Should Attend:
- You will hear directly from the Judges responsible for handling the cases
- Learn the law and its implications as it unfolds in real time
- Discussions will focus on issues affecting mass tort litigation going forward
- Hear from the Judges deciding your appeals what they think is important
- 9:00 - Welcome - Christopher M. Placitella, Esq.
- 9:03 - NJ Federal Practice & MDL's - Hon. Brian Martinotti
- 9:25 - Framing and Arguing Appeals - Hon. Patty Schwartz; Hon. Stephanie Ann Mitterhoff, JAD
- 10:00 - Is the Texas Two Step Still a Dance Worth Considering? - Hon. Melanie L. Cyganowski; Lynne M. Kizis, Esq.; Moshe S. Maimon, Esq.; Kenneth A. Rosen, Esq.
- 10:35 - Break
- 10:45 - Talc Panel – Where is talc litigation going locally and nationally - Michelle A. Parfitt, Esq.; Susan M. Sharko, Esq.
- 11:15 - Judicial Roundtable - Magistrate Judge Rukhsanah L. Singh; Hon. Bruce J. Kaplan, JSC; Hon. Gregg A. Padovano, JSC; Hon. John C. Porto, JSC; Hon. Ana C. Viscomi, JSC
- 12:10 - Proposed Amendments Federal Evidence Rule 702 on the admissibility of expert testimony and proposed amendments to FRCP 26 on privilege logs - Magistrate Judge Rukhsanah L. Singh; David R. Kott, Esq.; Jared M. Placitella, Esq.
- 1:00 - Adjourn